Tuesday, August 14, 2012

From Impulse to Inseparable

Meet Fritz:


This is my one and a half year old German Shorthaired Pointer. He is 51.2 pounds of muscle and energy; and with the occasional excited pee and 7am wakeup calls aside, he is the best (non human) friend anyone could have. But let’s be honest here: Fritz was a result of an impulse buy from a couple with a 6 year on and off again relationship (that now rests permanently in the off position).

>Need a play be play? We saw him, his sweet puppy eyes won us over, and we bought him<

Now as a single “mom” my life has changed a lot. I know some people think I’m crazy because I treat my dog as a child, and speak of him as one, but there is a significance to Fritz I’m not sure everyone understands. He kept me from a sad place, kept my energy up, and most of all – kept my spirits up.  I mean how can you look at this face and NOT smile??


(Now, just to clarify, I am not comparing myself to single moms in any way. I pretty much hit my knees every time I think of what it would be like if Fritz was an impulse baby. YIKES!! )


Back to the point though, Fritz is literally attached to my hip. He goes everywhere I go; to visit my parents, to run errands, sometimes just to pick up dinner, I will let him ride shotgun. I –without a doubt- recommend a dog to anyone going through a hard time, or anyone is just looking for a friend that can be at your beckon call 24/7.  However, when you’re pondering about this decision, keep in mind- DOGS ARE NOT CHEAP! I spent 200 dollars on my loveable canine a few months back because he ate some sugar free gum. Turns out he barely had any in his system, and the vet thought I was psycho, but hey! - Better safe than sorry.  

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with all of this. My Apartment would be so quiet and lonely without Ben. He has been the sweetest dog! But you're right...they're NOT cheap! Parker overdosed Benny on heart worm pills which result in an emergency vet tripped. Not to mention he suffers from separation anxiety so he's on anti-anxiety meds which are $30/month. But me and especially Parker couldn't live without him! (excuse my typos, it won't let me go back and fix them on my phone)

    ReplyDelete